Thank you for all the great applications! We exceeded our previous year applications and appriciate the support of the Buckman Arts Education program
Just a reminder the show is March 10-11, 2018
set up Friday evening.
We have notified artists of acceptance status, emails were sent out on December 11th, 2017. Please keep an eye on your spam or updates folder. We will use this email to connect with artists in the future so please mark as "safe" Artist packets with price tags and marketing materials will be mailed in late Feb.
Notification of Acceptance
You will receive a notification of acceptance or non-acceptance via email by the end of the day (midnight) on December 14th. Please be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email contacts to help our emails from going into your spam box.
All artwork is presented in an informal gallery-style arrangement in the Buckman cafeteria and gyms. Accepted artists will be assigned a location to best fit the artwork on view. Space assignments will be posted online the week before the show. Limited amounts of additional artwork for re-stocking during the event may be stored under tables or in designated areas in the school.
Donations for Silent Auction
The Buckman Art Show & Sell includes a lively silent auction. If you feel strongly about the necessity of arts education, and you wish to support Buckman’s arts-integrated educational programs, please consider donating a piece for the silent auction! Donated artwork sold in the silent auction means 100% proceeds for the school, which can be used to preserve and expand the arts programs at Buckman, the city’s premier public arts elementary school, serving children from all economic and ethnic backgrounds from all over Portland. We are very grateful for any artwork you wish to donate. Artists can designate a minimum bid for donated pieces.
The event is promoted through a media campaign, including postcards mailed to art enthusiasts, posters and postcards distributed about town, press releases and photos submitted to appropriate print media, PSAs submitted to electronic media, preview displays at the school, retail promotions, and the Buckman Art Show & Sell Web site (which lists all artists participating in the show). Posters, postcards, and electronic flyers (e-blasts) will be available for participating artists to distribute to clients, buyers, friends, family, and neighborhood retailers. The printed materials will be available in the Buckman office by February 20, 2018, and the electronic flyers will be available for download from the website to participating artists for forwarding to their mailing lists. In addition, postcards and handbills will be mailed to participating artists for them to distribute to clients and mailing lists.
Artists are encouraged to attend. While you are not required to be present, your presence at the event will likely increase your sales. If you cannot attend, please provide business cards, postcards, and/or a mailing list so visitors may reach you after the sale. Buckman will staff the cashier and packaging station for the show.
The Buckman Art Show & Sell showcases Portland’s vibrant and talented art community while raising much-needed funds for the city’s premier public elementary school with an arts-centered curriculum. Initiated by a team of dedicated parents and artists in 1991, this beloved community-wide event invites professional local artists to show their work in an energetic and family-oriented atmosphere. Opening night festivities kick off a weekend filled with artwork and performances by Buckman Arts Focus Elementary School students and artists from throughout the Portland area.
Approximately 125 to 140 established and emerging artists presenting a range of media and styles will be selected for the 26th annual Buckman Art Show & Sell. Artists—both professional and Buckman students—receive 70% of their proceeds, with the remaining 30% directly benefiting Buckman’s PTA, which supports the school’s arts-integrated academic program.
In 1989, Buckman Arts Focus Elementary School became Portland's only public school with an arts-integrated curriculum. Students attending Buckman receive weekly drama, art, music, and dance classes that encourage artistic and academic growth. The Buckman Art Show & Sell provides an exciting opportunity for students to envision and develop their own creative futures.
Questions about the application process may be directed to our chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for reading through the FAQs!